1.What is the correct order for
Ph=Physical, T=Transport, A= Application,
A. P S A PH D N T
It is crucial you not only memorize this
and know what each layer does.
2. What is encapsulation?
A. Putting the header on an incoming frame
This also includes trailers and can be put on segments,
packets, and frames.
3. Which layer is most concerned with user applications?
A. Stripping the header from a frame
This also includes trailers as in question 2.
5. What layer converts data into segments?
7. What layer converts data into Frames?
All of the layers need to convert data into something that
they can pass down to the next level, with the exception of
the Application layer which hands data to the Presentation layer.
The Presentation layer encrypts, and compresses
before sending it to
the Session layer for it s first conversion.
9. Which layer is most concerned with getting data
from the beginning to the final destination?
The transport layer is most concerned with reliable transportation
from one end to the other.
10. Which of the following is not a part
of the Session layer?
A. Establishing a session
D. Keeping the sender and receiver from sending a message
at the same time That is the job of the Transport layer.
11. Which of the following is not a job
for the presentation layer? Choose 2
A. Data representation
C is handled by the session layer, and D is handled
by the Transport layer
12. What does Peer to Peer communication involve?
A. Each layer communication with the layer below it
Answer C sounds correct also, but adjacent
and corresponding are two different things.
The session layer can only communicate with the session
layer in another system for example.
13. Why does the industry use a layered model?
Choose all correct
A. When you enhance one layer it doesn t affect the other layers
from the physical layer?
Answer A D.
SDLC and ISDN are WAN protocols that function at the data link layer
15. Which two answers are functions of the OSI model"s
A. Sequencing of frames
Answer B C.
Sequencing is done at the data link layer. D is fictional.